Navigation

Sunday 10 February 2013

Zagreb 2013 - Marin Cilic crushes Jurgen Melzer

Marin Cilic carried a 6-2 head to head record against Jurgen Melzer when he walked on to the court today to fight for third Zagreb title, having already triumphed here in 2009 (d. Ancic) and 2010 (d. Berrer).

Image via atpworldtour.com
Both Cilic and Melzer had set their eyes on their first titles of 2013 campaign, but at the end of the day there had to be one winner.

Cilic started on fire as he lost a total of 5 points on serve and broke Melzer once to claim the opening set 6-3. Cilic did not face a break point in the first set.

If Cilic was on fire in the first set, it seemed like someone added fuel to the Cilic's fire in the second set, as he  served at 88% and lost just 3 points behind his serve. He broke Melzer thrice to claim the second set 6-1 and hence win the match 6-3 6-1 in just over an hour.

With this loss, Melzer fell to 4-8 in the ATP tour level finals. Although Melzer lost, he did achieve a mile-stone during the tournament, he recorded his 300th tour level win in the quarter-finals, his 300th victim was Rafael Nadal slayer, Lukas Rosol.

Melzer was full of praise for Cilic.

"He was the better player today, I felt like I was hitting the ball really well at the beginning, but he hit the ball even better. "

"What made the difference in the first few games is that he had free points on serve, whereas I had to work for them: hit a winner or play well so he missed. He deserved the victory. "

Marin Cilic won his 3rd Zagreb title and 9th overall title.

I will be signing off with these words of Cilic;

"Most of my game was working extremely well. My returns were really good and I had a read on almost all of his serves. I took my chances and defended well. Overall, I played a great match from beginning to the end."

No comments:

Post a Comment